The Entertainment Software Association released its annual report, the 2023 Essential Facts About the U.S. Video Game Industry, which sheds light on some of the predominant gaming habits among players in the United States. No longer relegated to a social pariah status, gamers now come in all shapes and sizes, nationalities, and genders. We’ve explored some key facts and statistics that stood out to us from the report.
Key Facts from the ESA 2023 U.S. Gamer Report
Here are some interesting and key facts from the report:
- 212.6 million Americans play video games for at least 1 hour per week.
- 53% of gamers are men, while 46% are women.
- 76% of kids under the age of 18 play video games.
- The average video game player is 32 years old and has been playing games for 21 years.
- 80% of players play with others, and most think it helps maintain relationships with family and friends.
- 76% of U.S. parents play games to have fun with and connect with their children.
- Puzzle games are the most popular, with 63% of gamers enjoying them.
- 75% of players play at least 4 hours of games a week across all platforms.
- Mobile devices are the most popular platform, with 64% of gamers playing them, followed by consoles at 54% and PC/Laptops at 45%.
- Gamers spent $56.6 billion dollars on gaming in 2022.
In addition to these pretty interesting stats, 96% of Americans view games as beneficial, as they bring people joy, provide mental stimulation, and provide others with stress relief.
As gaming continues to evolve and grow, new applications and benefits are constantly being discovered. Only time will tell what other discoveries will be made in the gaming community.
Read the full 2023 Essential Facts report on the official ESA website.
For more articles like this one, see our news section.