In Dinkum, you can find many foreign items in barrels or by prospecting. You know it’s a foreign item when the background of the icon for the item is green. One of these items is an Old Key, which begs the question, where can you find Old Keys in Dinkum, and how can you use them?
Where to Find Old Keys in Dinkum
To find Old Keys in Dinkum, search in barrels scattered across your island or prospect for them using a Metal Detector. Continue reading for a step-by-step walkthrough.
Here’s how to find Old Keys in Dinkum:
- Visit Fletch and purchase the Metal Detecting Licence for 1000 Permit Points.
- Purchase the Excavation Licence for 500 Permit Points.
- Visit John and buy a Metal Detector for 6,600 Dinks.
- Buy a Crude Shovel for 900 Dinks.
- Equip the Crude Shovel and Metal Detector to your toolbar.
- Pull out the Metal Detector and hold the left mouse button.
- Walk around. When the beeping gets faster and louder, it means you’re going in the right direction.
- When the beeping hits the maximum level, pull out your shovel and dig the square that was beeping.
- You should find an item. Keep doing this until you find an Old Key.
How to Use Old Keys in Dinkum
To use Old Keys in Dinkum, access the Deep Mines and find locked golden gates with chests with special gear. Equip the Old Key to your toolbelt and left-click on the locked door.
Here’s how to use an Old Key in Dinkum:
- Obtain a Deep Mining Licence from Fletch for 3,500 Permit Points.
- Get the Mine Deed from Fletch. This will put your town 250,000 Dinks in debt. Your town needs to be debt free to get the Mine Deed.
- Visit John and purchase a Mine Pass for 25,000 Dinks. You’ll need a new pass each time you go down, so be careful!
- Place the Mine Deed on the ground.
- Enter the elevator shaft and right-click on the lever to enter the mines.
- Look around for a golden gate.
- Equip the Old Key to your toolbelt and select it.
- Walk up to the gate and left-click.
- Open the second door by left-clicking with your Old Key equipped.
- Open the chest for powerful items!
Now you know where to find Old Keys and how to use them in Dinkum. Each chest room requires 2 keys to enter, so make sure you’re taking enough keys to loot everything you want. To get the Deep Mining Licence, you’ll need to unlock your Mining Licence Level 2 at a minimum.
The Deep Mines are a high-level area, so you’ll want to buff yourself with powerful food. You’ll encounter a lot of powerful enemies down there, so make sure you bring the proper equipment.
Every time you enter the deep mines, you’ll need a new Mine Pass, which will cost you 25,000 Dinks each time you go down. This is why it’s important to enter the Deep Mines well prepared!
Dinkum is available for PCs on Steam.
For more Dinkum guides, visit our Dinkum Section.