Getting your Clan up and going in Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord can be a serious challenge. Between running out of money, getting ambushed by looters, and trying to complete as many missions as possible, it would be nice to have a little protection from a faction. That’s where becoming a mercenary comes in. Here’s how to become a Mercenary in Mount and Blade Bannerlord.
How to Become a Mercenary in Mount and Blade Bannerlord
To become a Mercenary in Mount and Blade Bannerlord, achieve Clan Rank 1, gain at least 50 Renown, then speak to a Noble or Lord from the Faction you want to serve and enter into the service of that Faction.
Once you do this, you’ll become enemies with any Factions with which your current Faction is at war with.
See below for a step-by-step guide.
Speaking with a Lord to Become a Mercenary
To become a Mercenary in Bannerlord:
- Speak to a Faction Lord.
- Select the “There is something I’d like to discuss” option.
- Click the “I would like to enter your service.” selection.
- Select “My sword is yours. For the right sum.”
- Continue through the rest of the dialogue screens and accept the Mercenary position for that Faction.
Once you go through the dialogue screens, the Lord will tell your how many Denars you’ll earn for each battle as a Mercenary.
You can not own a fief as a Mercenary, so you should become a Mercenary in Bannerlord’s earlier game if you plan on owning your own Towns and Villages later on.
How to End Mercenary Contract in Bannerlord
To end your Mercenary contract in Bannerlord:
- Walk up to the Faction leader, and select “My Lord/Lady, I wish to be released from my oath to you.”
- Hit the Kingdom icon or press K on the keyboard and click the Leave Kingdom button in the top right of the screen.
Ending your Mercenary contract with a Faction will not hurt your reputation with them, as would breaking your Vassal oath to a Faction would.
For more guides like this one, see our Bannerlord Section.